PeepingMoon Exclusive: Rhea Chakraborty tells police: Sushant told me to go, I didn’t leave on my own!

Rhea Chakraborty, the lesser-known actress who was in a relationship with Sushant Singh Rajput, and who was among the last two people the Chhichhore actor called before committing suicide on Sunday, reportedly told the Bandra police that the earlier apartment they shared was haunted!

“That’s what I felt and even Sushant was disturbed while we were staying there,” Rhea told the police yesterday in a nine-hour-long recording of her statement in the sensational suicide investigation. She further insisted that both of them were keen on getting married. And Sushant’s family, that was not in favour of this marriage, later started liking her. “Everything was falling in place,” Rhea stated. “I even spoke to his father K. K. Singh twice.”

Indicating that they were in a serious relationship, Rhea told the investigators that Sushant and she met in 2012. “At that time I was working on Ashima Chibber’s comedy drama Mere Dad Ki Maruti that co-starred Saqib Saleem and Ram Kapoor and Sushant was doing Maneesh Sharma’s romcom Shudh Desi Romance with Parineeti Chopra,” Rhea said. “We began bumping into each other at parties and soon became friends.”

File photo of Rhea Chakraborty and Sushant Singh Rajput

Recommended Read: Sushant Singh Rajput Demise: Rhea Chakraborty records her statement with the police

Apparently, Sushant was dating somebody else at that time, Rhea found out. But they remained in touch. They were pitched together when both the actors jointly decided to leave a major production house with which they were affiliated as talent and started working independently in 2017-18. “After that we started dating,” she admitted to the police.

But their relationship was doomed from the start. “Sushant was battling his own issues. He never shared anything with me. Whenever he was worried, he used to retreat into his shell and go into isolation. Or he would disappear to his farmhouse in Pawna,” Rhea added.

“Our relationship was affecting each other’s professional lives,” Rhea admitted. It was around this time that Sushant began to lose work. “He lost many films due to no reason,” Rhea said. “Sushant appeared to be in a dilemma. I tried to understand his angst. But he was getting increasingly depressed and then started going to see a psychiatrist. In his last few days, however, Sushant stopped whatever medicines the psychiatrist had put him on.”

Things came to an unfortunate end on June 6 when Sushant, who Rhea said was depressed then, reportedly asked her to leave their Mont Blanc duplex at Carter Road. “I did not leave the house on my own,” the actress clarified. She gauged the situation and Sushant’s mood, and left the place without any questions, thinking the situation would settle down in a few days. “I wanted to give him space to think for himself,” Rhea revealed.

And then the next thing Rhea knew, was that she was being informed on Sunday, June 14, that Sushant had committed suicide. The night before, when Sushant had tried to reach out to her with a late night phone call, Rhea was asleep and missed the call. She will always be tormented by the thought that ‘What if…’ she had taken it.