The fire, described as Level 2 blaze by the Mumbai Fire Brigade, broke out at Bollywood's iconic studios in Chembur this afternoon. It spread rapidly. Six fire tenders and three water tankers were rushed to the spot and traffic was brought to a standstill as firemen struggled to prevent the flames from spreading to the rest of the old studio. No casualties were reported.
The cause of the blaze was reported to be a short circuit. Electric wiring and installations and decorations went up in flames first. No member of the Kapoor family which has owned and has been running the studio since 1948 was on the premises. But Rishi Kapoor was on his way. Sources said the Kapoor family's big fear is that the fire might spread to R K Studio's warehouse which is like a museum of old costumes and memorabilia from Raj Kapoor's old black-and-white films.
R K Studios has had a fire on its premises before. In February 2015, when Shah Rukh Khan was shooting an episode of his television show India Poochega Sabse Shaana Kaun, a generator caught fire and caused a blackout. The show was stopped immediately and all celebrities on the sets, including Karan Johar, Farah Khan, Anushka Sharma and Alia Bhatt were safely evacuated.