Meghan Markle accuses Buckingham Palace of ‘perpetuating falsehoods’ as it launches probe after former staffer claims of being bullied by the Duchess

By  
on  

Prince Harry’s wife Meghan Markle, the Duchess of Sussex has said that the Buckingham Palace could not expect her and her husband to be silent if it was “perpetuating falsehoods about us”. In a clip of Oprah Winfrey’s interview with the couple, Meghan was asked how she felt about the palace hearing her “speak your truth today.” To this, Meghan said, “If that comes with risk of losing things, I mean... there is a lot that has been lost already."

Buckingham Palace on Wednesday ordered a probe against the Duchess and the Duke on bullying allegations levied against her by former royal staffers. The allegations of bullying leveled against Meghan were published after the interview with Oprah was recorded and was published in The Times on Tuesday. The allegations have been denied by Meghan and Prince Harry who now live in the US along with their two-year-old son Archie. The report claimed that the Palace received a complaint against Meghan in October 2018, while the Duke and Duchess were living at Kensington Palace after their marriage in May that year. The newspaper published a leaked email sent by a staff member, alleged that Meghan drove two personal assistants out of the household and she undermined the confidence of a third staff.

RECOMMENDED READ: Prince Harry ‘being advised to fly home right now’ to bid final goodbye to grandfather Prince Philip: Reports

The interview with Oprah will air in the US on Sunday and in the UK on Monday, is expected to details Harry’s and Meghan’s short stint as working royals together before stepping down from their roles last year. In the 30-second teaser clip released by CBS, Oprah asks Meghan, “How do you feel about the palace hearing you speak your truth today?" To this, Meghan replies, "I don't know how they could expect that, after all of this time, we would still just be silent if there is an active role that The Firm (British Royal Family) is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us."

The Palace issued a statement that read, “We are clearly very concerned about allegations in The Times following claims made by former staff of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Accordingly, our HR team will look into the circumstances outlined in the article. Members of staff involved at the time, including those who have left the Household, will be invited to participate to see if lessons can be learned. The Royal Household has had a Dignity at Work policy in place for a number of years and does not and will not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”

In a statement issued to an online portal, Meghan’s representative denied the allegations and stated, “The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma. She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good."

Sources close to the Sussexes have termed the article as a ‘smear campaign’ against the couple. The source said, "Let's just call this what it is — a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation. We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrayal of The Duchess of Sussex given credibility by a media outlet. It's no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining The Duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and The Duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years."

The allegations have come in 5 days before the interview is set to premiere. The interview is said to be a candid one where the couple would talk about their life as a royal family member and the subsequent Megxit.

(Source: The Times/People/IANS/Reuters)

Recommended

Share