Todd Phillips superhero film Joker leads the nomination pack for the 2020 British Academy of Film and Televisions Film Awards (BAFTAs), with actor Joaquin Phoenix in the race to grab the Best Actor accolade. Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood and Martin Scorsese's The Irishman scored 10 nominations apiece. Sam Mendes' war drama "1917" has nine nods. Just a day after winning a Golden Globe for Best Actor in a Motion Picture for the movie, Joaquin has emerged as the contender for the Leading Actor trophy at BAFTAs. He will be fighting it out with Leonardo Dicaprio (Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood), Adam Driver (Marriage Story), Taron Egerton (Rocketman) and Jonathan Pryce (The Two Popes).
Actress Jessie Buckley (Wild Rose), Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story), Saoirse Ronan (Little Women), Charlize Theron (Bombshell) and Renee Zellweger (Judy) will be competing for Leading Actress trophy. Joker, which traces the transformation of loner Arthur Fleck (Phoenix) from an aspiring stand-up comedian to a supervillain, is also in the race to win the Best Film award, along with 1917, The Irishman, Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood and Parasite.
Phillip is in contention to win Best Director, battling it out with Sam Mendes (1917), Martin Scorsese (The Irishman), Quentin Tarantino (Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood) and Bong Joon-Ho (Parasite). The film is also nominated in -- Adapted Screenplay (Phillips and Scott Silver), Original Score (Hildur Gudnadottir), Casting, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Make Up & Hair and Sound. The BAFTA film awards nominees were revealed on Tuesday in London. Sex Education stars Asa Butterfield and Charlie's Angels star Ella Balinska readout the names. It is the first time that a category for Best Casting has been included in the list. The awards ceremony will be held in London on February 2.
Here are some of the nominees:
OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
* "For Sama"
* "Sorry We Missed You"
* "The Two Popes"
OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER
* "Bait", Mark Jenkin (Writer/Director), Kate Byers, Linn Waite (Producers)
* "For Sama", Waad Al-Kateab (Director/Producer), Edward Watts (Director)
* "Maiden", Alex Holmes (Director)
* "Only You", Harry Wootliff (Writer/Director)
* "Retablo", Álvaro Delgado-Aparicio (Writer/Director)
FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE
* "The Farewell"
* "For Sama"
* "Pain And Glory"
* "Portrait Of A Lady On Fire"
* "American Factory"
* "Apollo 11"
* "Diego Maradona"
* "For Sama"
* "The Great Hack"
* "Frozen 2"
* "A Shaun The Sheep Movie: Farmageddon"
* "Toy Story 4"
* "Booksmart", Susanna Fogel, Emily Halpern, Sarah Haskins, Katie Silberman
* "Knives Out", Rian Johnson
* "Marriage Story", Noah Baumbach
* "Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood", Quentin Tarantino
* "Parasite", Han Jin Won, Bong Joon-Ho,
* "The Irishman", Steven Zaillian
* "Jojo Rabbit", Taika Waititi
* "Joker", Todd Phillips, Scott Silver
* "Little Women", Greta Gerwig
* "The Two Popes", Anthony Mccarten
* Laura Dern, "Marriage Story"
* Scarlett Johansson, "Jojo Rabbit"
* Florence Pugh, "Little Women"
* Margot Robbie, "Bombshell"
* Margot Robbie, "Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood"
* Tom Hanks, "A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood"
* Anthony Hopkins, "The Two Popes"
* Al Pacino, "The Irishman"
* Joe Pesci, "The Irishman"
* Brad Pitt, "Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood"
* "1917" Thomas Newman
* "Jojo Rabbit" Michael Giacchino
* "Joker" Hildur Guðnadóttir,
* "Little Women" Alexandre Desplat
* "Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker" John Williams
* "Joker" Shayna Markowitz
* "Marriage Story" Douglas Aibel, Francine Maisler
* "Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood" Victoria Thomas
* "The Personal History Of David Copperfield" Sarah Crowe
* "The Two Popes" Nina Gold
RISING STAR AWARD
* Jack Lowden
* Kaitlyn Dever
* Kelvin Harrison Jr.
* Micheal Ward