Earlier this month, July 2018, Disney Studios fired the director from the franchise after old tweets wherein he joked about pedophilia and rape, surfaced again on the internet. These tweets were written between 2008 and 2011. However, Disney was swift to take notice and fired him from the film. Walt Disney chairman said, "The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him."
On Monday, ten days later, the star cast of the film has spoken about the abrupt firing of their director. They signed an open letter and wrote, "We fully support James Gunn." They further state the reason behind not reacting immediately to the situation, "We were all shocked by his abrupt firing last week and have intentionally waited these ten days to respond in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss. In that time, we’ve been encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans and members of the media who wish to see James reinstated as director of Volume 3 as well as discouraged by those so easily duped into believing the many outlandish conspiracy theories surrounding him.”
Gunn, whose both films have been global blockbuster hits said that his previous tweets were, "totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative." So far, nearly 350,000 people have signed a petition for his reinstatement on Change.org.